Building on the 2012 Gateway Energy Roadmaps developed for customers participating in the Chicago Energy Retrofit Challenge, AECOM developed and tested an improved Energy Roadmap process to help achieve greater energy savings for ComEd customers.
The first phase of this pilot was a review of the 2012 Gateway Energy Roadmaps developed for customers participating in the Retrofit Chicago Energy Challenge. AECOM reviewed the energy savings of participants and conducted interviews to see how future energy roadmap efforts could be more effective.
For the second phase, AECOM developed an improved energy roadmap process and engaged with several facilities in Chicago to test the procedure. The improved roadmap included several features:
- Establishment of baseline energy use conditions
- Incorporation of past studies, capital plans, operating budgets, contracts and proposals
- Consideration and planning for capital investment constraints
- Alignment with the ComEd Energy Efficiency Program
- Prioritization of energy efficiency projects
Roadmaps were developed for three large ComEd customers with the goal of cutting their energy use by 20% over the subsequent five years. Best practices were established and shared with ComEd at the conclusion of this pilot.